1 16-ounce French-bread baguette
2/3 cup olive oil
8 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped mixed fresh herbs (such as tarragon, thyme, and rosemary)
3/4 cup soft fresh goat cheese (plain, peppered, or herbed)
4 large plum tomatoes, thinly sliced into rounds
2 cups coarsely chopped pitted Mediterranean olives
Preparation1. Heat grill pan medium heat.
2. Cut baguette crosswise in half. Cut each half lengthwise in half to form 4 pieces total.
3. Combine oil, garlic, and herbs in small bowl. Brush all cut sides of bread with half of oil mixture.
4. Grill bread, cut sides down, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Remove from grill.
5. Quickly spread cut sides of toast with goat cheese. Top with tomatoes and olives, dividing equally.
6. Drizzle remaining oil mixture on top.
7. Return open-face sandwiches to grill. Cook until bottom sides are toasted, cheese melts, and tomatoes begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
8. Cut each sandwich diagonally in half and serve.