I can hardly believe that school will be out in just a few short weeks. How did this year fly by so fast for us? It seems like only yesterday I was taking the kids to their first day of school. Every year goes by more quickly than the last. This year my older two kids were in 1st and 3rd grade. We recently began soccer which is over the end of this month. Then there is baseball and that begins end of June. I love keeping the kids active, it keeps them living well and healthy.
I myself have begun being more active and healthy. I started working out at a local gym and my eating habits have changed a lot. I prepare lower fat meals with less calories but not less flavor. If it doesn't taste good I don't want to eat it and that has been the hard part of past diets. I now look forward to eating the meals that I prepare and so does the rest of my family.
My latest healthy family dinner was so quick and easy! I used Tyson Grilled & Ready chicken breast strips from Walmart (see my shopping trip here). I love using these in anything that calls for chicken because they are flavorful, moist and ready to use right from the bag. Tyson doesn't use any preservatives and the chicken is 98% fat free! This works perfectly with our healthy eating plan. There were a few other kinds of Tyson Grilled & Ready chicken available as well. I like that there are many versions, perfect for almost any recipe I could dream up. No heating up the grill but we still can have that delicious grilled flavor. My favorite is the frozen variety but the Tyson chicken also comes refrigerated, found near the deli at Walmart. Their packaging is bright and easy to find. I like that the freezer bag has a zipper to reclose it. I don't think that the small refrigerated version has the zipper but I could be wrong.
I know you will love my recipe for this summery honeyed thyme chicken on a biscuit! I served ours with some fresh fruit and iced tea, the perfect quick healthy meal for the whole family. To find out where Tyson is sold nearby check here. Now let me show you how easy it is to make this...
Honeyed Thyme Chicken on a Biscuit Recipe
Time: 15 minutes (includes bake time)
Ingredients you will need:
-Reduced fat golden wheat refrigerated biscuits (the kind in the can)
-1 small red onion halved
-6 tsp honey (I used raw honey)
-1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
-1/2 tsp kosher salt
-1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
-1 tsp salted butter (optional)
- 18 oz of Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Breast Strips (thawed if frozen variety)
1. Bake biscuits to golden brown on an ungreased pan according to the package. Mine were 375F for 14 minutes. The biscuits were done just as my chicken was heated through. Set the whole pan on a rack to cool slightly then cut in half. TIP* using a fork to split these gives them a rough texture inside that is more absorbent for the saucy chicken mixture*
2. While those biscuits bake slice red onion in half and then thinly slice. I used my mandoline to get even thin slices. Save out a very small handful of onion for later.
3. Take out a large saucepan and begin to put the sliced onion, honey, seasonings and butter into it. Place the pan on medium low heat and stir every so often for about 5 minutes. Do not let this boil, a slow simmer is what we are looking for.
4. Weigh out (or just eyeball) 18 oz of Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken Breast Strips onto a cutting board. Take each strip and run a knife through it a couple of times to make thinner strips.
5. Take the sliced strips and add them to the simmering onion mixture. Toss chicken in with a spatula or spoon. Add in the onion that you saved out. I find that having a small bit of less cooked onion gives the sandwich a nice bit of crunch and freshness. Keep tossing the chicken to coat and heat through for about 5-7 minutes then take off the heat to serve.
6. Load up 6 biscuits equally with the chicken mixture and serve with your favorite healthy side and refreshing drink. The other two biscuits can be saved for a healthy breakfast the next morning OR if you have an extra hungry guy just spread the chicken mixture out a little more between all 8 biscuits!
Cheers to living healthy and eating well!
Cheers to living healthy and eating well!