This is how to make an easy as pie filling cake. If you need to make a great dessert in a pinch, this is it! It takes about 10 minutes to mix this all up and pour into the pan. I have made this cake several times now and each time everyone raves over it. You can make many variations of this recipe just by switching the cake, filling and marshmallow flavors around.
For my daughter's birthday cake I used: strawberry marshmallows rolled in 1 Tbsp strawberry gelatin powder mixed with 1 Tbsp water (optional idea for added flavor), lemon pie filling, lemon extract, lemon zest in the filling, white cake mix, more strawberry heart marshmallows on top, fresh lemon zest on top and candy pearls to make it cute.
-4 cups mini-marshmallows
-1 box cake mix (any flavor you wish)
-1 can pie filling (any flavor you wish)
-extract to go with cake filling (ie. cherry if you have cherry filling) *optional
-1 large container of Cool Whip
1) Pour mini-marshmallows into a greased 9x13 inch cake pan (light colored pans work best)
2) Prepare cake mix according to package
3) Pour cake batter over marshmallows in pan
4) Mix in 1 tsp extract into pie filling to help boost flavor (optional)
5) Spoon pie filling evenly over top of cake batter.
6) Bake at 350F 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
7) COOL completely
8) Top with whipped Cool Whip and more marshmallows
Flavor combo suggestions (jet puffed brand makes lots of flavors)
-chocolate cake+cherry filling+chocolate marshmallows
-spice cake+apple filling+cinnamon marshmallows
-vanilla cake+blueberry filling+french vanilla marshmallows
-strawberry cake+lemon filling+strawberry marshmallows
-coconut cake+lime filling+fruity marshmallows
-dark chocolate fudge cake+blackberry filling+chocolate marshmallows
-butter cake+peach filling+coconut marshmallows