Any backyard BBQ party plans in your near future? Whether you are a party of two or twenty I hope you have a blast at your backyard bash! My favorite part about summer is that it is grilling season and even a person like me with a smaller home can still throw outdoor parties.
I went to Walmart to grab some ingredients and decorations for my one of a kind Dr Pepper cheesecake. It's only semi-homemade so don't get scared! That luscious cheesecake you see in that photo only looks like I spent hours slaving away in my kitchen. I bought a boxed New York style cheesecake from the freezer section and then dressed it up with some home-cooked extras. The deep red brown sauce you see is a reduction of Dr Pepper Cherry! I found my Dr Pepper in the Soft Drinks and Chips isle at my Walmart. I sliced up a few Granny Smith and Fuji apples, tossed in some pecans, drizzled on my reduction and ta-da you have a very special dessert that everyone will want the recipe for.
Dr Pepper reminds me of my Father-in-law. His favorite soft drink has always been Dr Pepper. When I was in high school our families went on a vacation up into the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. My family stayed at a very rustic cabin with sauna. Back then I was close friends with my husband's younger sister and she was staying with us for the first half of our summer vacation. The second half I went to stay with my sis-in-law-to-be's family.
When I went with my future in-laws we stayed at a really nice golf resort and then made our way over onto Mackinac Island. If you haven't yet been you must! I remember the scent of the lilacs and fudge on the island. The gorgeous views as we road bikes all around the whole island was also something I will never forget. It was one of the best vacations of my life. On the way home if ever we stopped for a rest stop my FIL always picked up a cold Dr Pepper for the drive. That man loves his Dr Pepper. I bet he would LOVE my cheesecake recipe!
Ingredients needed for this Dr Pepper Apple Pecan Cheesecake
1. Home made or store bought 12" cheesecake (chilled)
2. Four apples, 2 fuji and 2 Granny Smith (cored, cut in half and sliced long way 1/4" thin)
3. 3 cans of room temp Dr Pepper Cherry or Original
4. Heavy saucepan for reducing the Dr Pepper
5. 1/2 cup chopped pecans
6. 1/4 cup whole pecans
7. 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
8. 1/2 tsp cinnamon
9. 1/4 tsp nutmeg
10. 1/4 tsp salt
11. 2 Tbsp salted butter
12. Juice of 1 lemon (1/8 cup approx)
How to make your Dr Pepper Apple Pecan Cheesecake
1. Make sure cheesecake is not frozen, I set my store bought one in the fridge overnight. Set on your serving platter in the center and keep chilled
2. Pour all 3 cans of Dr Pepper Cherry into your saucepan and set over high heat until it begins to boil. Once boiling give it a stir and reduce to a low simmer. Simmer and stir until the liquid has been reduced to 1 cup. While this is cooking down begin step #4.
3. Cool your syrup reduction in the refrigerator or freezer. Cooling completely is very important so we don't melt our cheesecake.
4. Melt salted butter in a large skillet over medium heat (I used a nonstick one)
5. In a large bowl toss apple slices with lemon juice, salt, spices and brown sugar
6. Cook apples in butter until they are just fork tender, be sure to flip them around with a spatula
7. Once apples are fork tender add in the pecan bits that you chopped and let cook for 3 minutes, be sure to keep stirring
8. Take cooled cheesecake out onto the counter, take cooled Dr Pepper reduction and pour over the top of the cake reserving about 1/4 cup of the syrup
9. Pile the apple mixture over the top of your cheesecake right in the center, make it a mile high!
10. Toast whole pecans in apple pan for just a minute over medium heat, stir around constantly
11. Sprinkle whole pecans over the cheesecake and apples
12. Finish off your dessert by drizzling the reserved 1/4 cup of Dr Pepper Cherry reduction over the top
13. Slice and serve at your next #BackyardBash! A 12" cheesecake can feed about 8-10 people.
Be sure and visit www.drpepperbash.com for more Dr Pepper fun!