The slow cooker eMeals meal plan feeds a family of 6, and generally costs around $120 per week (or less). That’s only around $2.86/person per meal! For those of you with smaller families, there’s also a 2 person plan available. The recipes use mainstream ingredients, all available at your local grocery store, and appeal to a broad range of tastes. It's a great plan for the busy person who wants to be fed well but is short on time. You have a hot meal waiting for you in the slow cooker every day and all it takes is a little preparation.
Ham, Kale and Navy Bean Stew served over hominy Cheese Grits, and appears on this week’s Slow-Cooker Classic Meal Plan. The eMeals team devoured the leftovers for lunch, and it will freeze perfectly. Take a look - you can join eMeals free for 14 days Click here to sign up.
- 6 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 (15-oz) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-oz) package chopped kale (or collard greens)
- 1 (28-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-oz) package fully cooked cubed ham
- 1 (32-oz) carton chicken broth
- *I enjoy adding a bit of hot sauce and a few pinches of Italian herbs to mine!
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 (8-oz) package shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- *I like to add lots of white or black pepper to mine!
For Stew: Combine carrots, onion and potato in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Top with beans, kale, tomatoes and ham; pour in broth.
Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
For Grits: Cook grits according to package directions; stir in cheese and butter until blended and smooth. Serve stew over grits.