I saw an outfit that Kate Bosworth wore to Coachella a couple years ago and instantly fell in love with the shape of the dress. I knew that I wanted to use her dress as an inspiration for a future dress for my little girl. My daughter is 8, almost 9 and she has developed her own wonderful sense of style so I wanted to be sure and create something that she would enjoy. We wanted something modern and slightly edgy but still very girly that used Tulip Tie Dye.
We chose the colors teal and pink from our Tulip tie dye kit and began creating...we didn't want to go with a normal hippie tie dye style pattern so we tried to do a sort of modern twist on a plaid. My initial project was going to be for a baby boy one piece but I totally messed that one up, partially thanks to a terrible ear infection I've been dealing with...SO we thought back on this Kate dress and immediately knew we had to do it! You can find out how to make your own cute dress in the steps below. NO sewing needed!
1. Tulip Tie Dye Kit (I received a Tulip One-Step 5 color kit)
2. Plastic for table cover
3. Men's XLT white cotton tee
4. Iron-on adhesive tape
5. Sharp scissors
2. Roll this very long strip up, it should look like the middle picture.
3. Secure all over with rubberbands (they come included in every Tulip tie dye kit)
5. Choose the colors you will be dying with out of your kit.
6. Mix the dye according to package directions. It's actually way simple to do, you just add in the packet of dye powder then add water to the fill line, cover and shake. Be sure to wear gloves at this point, the dye can stain your hands.
9. Get out your iron-on adhesive tape. Flip dress to outside facing in, cut tape to go along the sides and iron it on according to package directions. This tape will last many washings!
11. You can do the same for the back OR I chose to cut it down for an open back. I created some pleating in the back and used a strip of tshirt with the tape to secure it.
12. If you wish to do pockets just cut out whatever size and shape you wish from the tee sleeves, use the tape to adhere those to the front.
Tulip Tie Dye Kits are available at Walmart, Walmart Canada, Michaels, JoAnn, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, Meijer. Tie dye kit contents and colors may vary by store.
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/ilovetocreate (@ilovetocreate)
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ilovetocreate and http://www.facebook.com/ILoveTulipFashionArt
- Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ilovetocreate
Disclosure: I wrote this post as part of a paid campaign with iLoveToCreate.com and Blueprint Social. The opinions in this post are my own.